Friday, December 01, 2006

Stranger then tea and new friends


I entertained my first stranger for tea yesterday, an old time resident of Santa Barbara named Robert. He came to Santa Barbara over fifty years ago, following a friend's advice who had traveled here by motorcycle. He married and had a kid and now walks around town, averaging 5 to 6 miles a day and heads up to the mountains regularly with the Sierra Club. I might even go on a hike with them when I come back in January!

Last night I organized a salon night. Six artists showed their work in an old school, salon-style way with wine following as well as an exchange of ideas. I honestly liked everything I saw and I think I see the beginnings an artist community. Hopefully it will continue after I'm gone, I think it will, the artists here will make their own scene. Look for artists from Santa Barbara at a gallery near you soon or on (or at) ATfreespace in the future!