Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Orizomegami, the fold and the die


After a few days of rest in Van Nuys, Ca., I am on my way back to Santa Barbara to serve more tea and host an orizomegami demonstration by my mom, Kay. I can really appreciate an art practice and a working philosophy that involves folding because it presents another side to things, which is helpful when one side doesn't seem to be working.

I've been taking stock the past few days of my resources since they seem to be dwindling, so I've folded and am turning to look at the other side, a re-shuffling is in order. I was nominated for 2 grants this year, big ones, $25,000 each, and didn't receive either of them. It was great to be nominated, an honor, but now I am planning for the coming year, and I hope to do a few more projects and am going to need resources. I think I have some good ideas. Rejection always puts things in perspective, like death and destruction. It's time for me to rebuild.

I have some thoughts on opening a very small gallery in the building my husband jointly owns with a friend out in Bushwick. Maybe I can set up a studio and/or temporary residency in the basement there too. I'd love a place to show work of other artists and have a place for them to make work.

I've also been looking for a job, so we'll see if I can squeeze that in and what unfolds.

Jerry sent me this picture this morning and called it the "critic from Hope." The photo was taken at an opening for Benjamin Edwards, an interesting artist, worth a look.