Saturday, September 01, 2007

Sept. 1, new freespace


As I embark on another year of blogging about freespaces and having a post studio practice (I've actually been working beyond the constraints of a studio for about a year and a half), I spent last night at a new freespace. I grabbed my sketchbook and other drawing surfaces and went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I should really call this freespace, vacation space because it's almost free (I usually pay one dollar admission) and it's one of the most amazing places on earth!

I had one minor set back, I realized that the chair I had scoped out during the day was a gallery lit by natural sunlight and that on Friday night it was dark, so I had to decamp to the brightly lit European galleries. No problem. Working at the Met allows me to place the result of my working practice within a variety of contexts. I can examine an interesting photo by David Smith or how text is conveyed in 17th century Japanese woodblock prints. I feel like my work is getting better already or at least more informed. I'm going back tonight!