Monday, July 30, 2007

Done with DC, back to building Social Space


Camp is really over, and although it took 2 1/2 hours for Grant to take a nap, I am now in a quiet apartment dreaming of a busy social space. I am planning to coordinate an artist-in-residence program at Pocket Utopia. For artists that have a portable practice, either drawing-based, computer-derived, or some other format that is well suited for a table. I am going to have the table in a designated area specially for them.

The designated area will be painted a different color than the rest of the floor. Having a cordoned off area makes it clear that the artist is working there. A defined working area is important, especially for the post-studio artist like myself, and I'll be inviting other post-studio artists as well as visiting artists for this program.

This weekend in VA/DC at my sister-in-law's house, my mother-in-law threw out my "fold" drawings, and it was really the first time that I didn't clearly demarcate a workspace. Another lesson learned in this post-studio journey. I love in-laws, for they make you stronger, and having to always define your work and your work area makes you really strong. I would go so far as to say it makes the work stronger too.

Pictured above, 2 years after deinstallation, a shadow remains of my social sculpture"Dreamer: an Eyrie Perch" that was installed at the Corcoran for their 48th Corcoran Biennial in 2005. A space still demarcated, maybe I should work there next time I go visit in-laws!