Thursday, May 17, 2007

LMCC today, tomorrow and last Tuesday





My empty desk at LMCC isn't empty today...Applications for studio space (ironic, don't ya think), fill my usual work area. An intern is sitting where I usually sit. I have been misplaced (again), but as usual, I'm going to make the most of it. First, I'm going to go make some tea, and clean this pig sty of a desk, introduce myself to the skinny art worker sitting across from me, and tolerate (somehow) working next to the nose-picking curator I mentioned in a previous post.

I'm working on "build drawings" today, and emails, and websites, and demolition plans, installation plans, play date plans, art transport plans, cocktail party plans, and of course, trying to stay on the potty training plan!

I've noticed that people notice me more at this desk. I'm more centrally located and feel the pressure of working in the public sphere. I often struggle between the comfortable private realm and the more uncomfortable public one. This is the dichotomous struggle of the artist, balancing the private and the public realms.