Friday, February 23, 2007

Time expands...


This morning on my way to 29 West, I shouted to my husband in the shower, "thanks for letting me participate, even peripherally, in this weekend's art fair activities." Through the steam he laughed. I feel grateful that I was able to install a wisp of drawings, a selection from my mandala series.

Most days finds me taking care of Grant for 10 to 12 hours and then trudging out to a "free space" or down to the basement, worrying about our sorry financial state and my lack of time (and lack of studio space.) Last night, having only a couple of hours to draw at a table located in the atrium of 60 Wall Street, I decided to make time my friend. I spread out paper and my collection of curved rulers and worked as if I had four hours. Instead of working one surface, I worked 10 surfaces. I focused with one pencil and one altered ruler and then switched it all around, working with 20 colored pencils and all the rulers. With many rulers and lots of paper I tried to embrace my inadequacies.

Trying not to rush myself I packed up and headed up to a group show, featuring artist friends Rico Gatson and Molly Larkey, among others and curated by friends Amy Smith-Stewart, and Omar Lopez-Chaud. Running into Maggie Michaels fresh from her installation at the Pulse Art Fair, the evening was a buzz with activity. Now it's time to pack up and head down to the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council where I'll be grateful to work at an empty desk for the rest of my life!